Friday, October 5, 2012

Material Applications on Campus


 
 
 
The purpose of this assignment was to go around campus and try to find examples of fabrics being used in 6 different ways:
-seating
-window covering
-wall covering
-panel systems
-floor covering
and -fiber based artwork
 
I immediately thought that the sub would be the pefect place to go because it has so many differnt elements and artwork in it and because it is so large. Lucky for me, I couldnt have been more correct and was able to find all of my examples quickly and in one place!
 
 
 
 
 
Here is an example of a fiber based wall covering. It is neither paint nor textured plaster but some sort of textured vinyl wall covering. The picture makes it hard to tell but it is actually very texturized and from far away looks a little like wood grain.

 
Fiber based artwork was the most challenging to find in my opinion, most of the artwork was either metal sculptures, or framed pictures, but I did see a ton of flags hung up and decided that would be a good thing to include, heres one of the examples of them being displayed.

 
Floor covering was definitely the easiest, although a good majority of tech campus has mostly tiled floors, theres a ton of sections in the SUB that is also carpet, above is the example that I came across.

 
Panel systems was a bit of a challenge along with the artwork. I kept trying to peek into offices to see if they had any above their desks, as well as in the music rooms for the acoustical panels but got strange looks and decided to put my efforts somewhere else. This is a 4 paneled announcement board located in the music room attached to the SUB.

 
Here is my example of window coverings. They are located in the actual eating area of the sub and provide different levels of shade when needed, you can't tell very well in the picture but they go all the way down to the floor which is nice when you have floor to ceiling glass.
 
 
Last but not least is my example of seating. Seating was also EXTREMELY easy to find because there is seating everywhere in the SUB.This is an example of one of the lounge chairs they have.
 
This project made me realize just how many different types of textiles are used in so many different kinds of ways not only around campus but really anywhere you go.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment